Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wrong Way

So I look at the AJC this morning and there's yet another story about some recruit and his current status. It appears that Henry is now leaning towards Alabama. I seriously think it's the 20th update on this kid and which schools are in the lead. Earlier, I saw a story about another kid whose name I forget. Let's call him Mr Hotshot. Anyhow, Mr Hotshot was commenting that he didn't go for the sales pitch approach. He's not impressed. He wants to go where he can get some playing time. Basically, the attitude is "show me something".

I have a note for the Georgia Bulldogs. Ignore these little brats. Am I the only one around here that is sick and tired of the updates on the whimsical leanings of a high school kid? Let's look, rather, at the fact that almost 30 of these little gems have been booted from the team in the last 3 or 4 years due to academic and character problems.

How about this Mr Hotshot..? Prove something to UGA. Show us why you are different than Carlton Thomas, Caleb King, Isaiah Crowell, Washaun Ealey, or any of the myriad list of running backs and other hotshot kids that got here and completely failed. And after what? How many hours did UGA coaches spend chasing these kids? How much time and money was invested so he could waffle and flirt and hold press conferences wherein a clever stunt reveals which school gets the honor of his presence. Go pack sand, Mr Hotshot. We'll get good kids without you.

I'm a fan of sports. I'm a fan of the Georgia Bulldogs. I get excited like the next guy but I found the line of tolerance. And it's behind us. Time to back up, boys. Let's get to a better place. I know recruiting is important but let's find a better way. You have more to offer them than they have to offer you.

How about a ceremony where we put up a bunch of faces on a board and reveal the new class on national TV. This recruiting thing is out of control. It's not bringing in better kids and when they get here they're not being coached to their potential anyway...but that's a different post on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment