Saturday, June 30, 2012

Summer 2012. Same as 2011...and 2010.

First post of the calendar year 2012. Just to bring this thing up to speed, we looked pretty bad in losing to Michigan State in the bowl game. Had a chance to seal the thing more than once. We did not. So...we ended the season like we started. 2 straight awful losses to ranked teams.

 Now on to the really fun stuff. It would not be summer if Dogs fans did not wake up to the news that a crucial component of the team had somehow invented a new way to get chucked from the team or injured. I haven't even mentioned the suspensions. I lost count years ago how many big games were missing key guys. For the third straight summer, the Georgia Bulldogs lose a critical offensive component that was supposed to be "the year" that they shine. Starting with Zach Mettenberger...meandering through Damon Evans (forgot about that one...yes the AD is crucial)...let's jump over to Washaun Ealey and Caleb King and just nuzzle on up to yesterday where we learned that Isaiah Crowell carries an unregistered pistol in his Marquis. Good to know. Except that it's a felony.

 It brings me ZERO joy to see these guys go down. I'm not the guy that celebrates at the misfortune of others. Jump on the ESPN boards and you'll see what I mean. There are people straight up giddy at the thought of somebody crashing and burning..because...you know...that anonymous commenter's life is so perfect.

 Having said that, allow me to be shallow and selfish about the sports side of it. We need all the help we can get. As I mentioned, there are guys out on suspension already. We've had to move dudes from offense to defense. We've got a young O-line. It does not look good at the moment.

 Here's a perfect opportunity for Coach Richt to really show us something. Coaching. Yeah...no kidding, dude..he's the coach. NO...I mean show us why we pay the big bucks. He's on par with the top flight guys yet we always come back to the issue of coaching. Why are guys getting in trouble? Why do we recruit top 5 every year and lose all the big games? I know they're young guys and you can't remote control them all and make decisions for them. But how is it that coaches that Richt is on par with find a way to get it done? LSU was without a QB for awhile. They went undefeated. Bama has won twice in 3 years. We recruit as well as them. We pay our coaches on par (or reasonably close) with them. I like coach Richt. I've defended keeping him. But at some point you have to look at a nice guy and say..."dude, you've got all the tools. You've got the facilities, the athletes, the fan support, the best of everything...why do we keep falling short?"

 This is officially my last, "defend Richt" season. I didn't say that I'll hop on the "fire Richt" train. I am just tiring of the "aw shucks" attitude when we lose and/or another kid gets booted.

No comments:

Post a Comment